Friday, August 27, 2010

Working Mom

Working Mom….Ohhh its such a swear word in some circles.

 

I am a working mom. There, I said it. Oh and guess what… Both my girls are in daycare! Bring on the lectures about germs, about how my children are worse off for it. Bring on the ridicule, bring it.

 

Now that was me a few years ago when Alexis was born. I was DEAD set on being a stay at home mom. I took my maternity leave (a whole summer! It was wonderful!). At the end, Gary and I put our heads together and did the finances. Staying home was not an option. There was just not enough money to stretch to cover all the bills. So off I went with major tears to find a part-time job. My church had just opened up a daycare and was in need of an Infant teacher. I very gratefully took the job. How perfect, I would work three days a week and be able to be with Alexis too! For three years now, minus a 6 month period where I worked in the evenings, I have worked at the daycare. I have worked in every room, worked every type of shift. I’ve done it all!

 

Little did I know that working here has made me realize that this is where I am supposed to be. When I was young, my parents taught me that the Lord has a calling on my life. Now I used to think that it had to be a preacher or missionary, something big like that. When I graduated high school, I attended a program to help me reach that preacher or missionary calling. But it wasn’t to be. I quickly realized that my gifts were not in those areas, that in fact, I had no clue what my calling was! The day I stepped into the school age class room at the daycare, I knew. I knew that it was were I was to be. For two years now, I have been working with Kindergarten through Fourth graders. I have fallen in love with the kids in my program. I greet them after school everyday and I love it!

 

My heart is with my daughters. They are constant on my mind. I long for the day that I can stay home with them. That is truly my dream. But until then, I am here pouring the love that I can’t pour on my daughters because I am not with them, on other mothers children. I pray that when they feel my arms around them, they feel their mom’s arms.

No comments:

Post a Comment